Wednesday, September 13, 2006









On Monday I saw a nice young bull moose. Unfortunately, most of the moose I see these days are dead - victims of either the highway or the railroad. This one met his end on the Trans Canada Highway in Yoho National Park. Park Wardens are not permitted to enforce their own speed regulations any more, and the RCMP detachment in Field, BC was closed many years ago, so it is pretty much a freeway out here much of the time. This one was likely hit by a big truck, judging by the debris at the site, but they rarely stop or report the accident if they can drive away.
After hauling away the remains, so as not to offend other speeding drivers on the road, I was off to check out reports of a forest fire near Saskatchewan Crossing. Even though I was on my way to a 'fire', I was passed by many tourists intent on getting past the scenery as fast as they possibly could. Eventually, out on the highway towards Rocky Mountain House, I searched for the elusive smoke. Reports put it between five and fifty kilometers from the junction. Given the residual smoke in the area from fires burning in southern B.C. and northern Washington state, it was not an easy task. Eventually, my many years of experience paid off, and led me more or less directly to the fire location. By examining the subtle clues, I was able to figure out the most likely location of the raging (not) inferno. There was just something suspicious that I was able to detect in the way those three helicopters kept circling the same spot across the river, just outside the park boundary!
Getting there was a bit of a struggle and I had to improvise to keep from breaking the warden's rule. I opened the gate with a master key, but found the trail obstructed by not one, but three trees blocking my way. I actually had to use a 'manual' axe to remove them. There was no owner's manual or warning labels, but I had not forgotten how to start it up. Otherwise, it would have meant contravening the Rule of the 5 W's. Basically, the rule reads We Won't Walk Will We? So when I got there, I took some photos just for you guys. (and gals!)
Fire location: 51 59.61n 116 39.33w Use your Google earth, described in earlier posts. It's fun, and best of all - free.
Two of the helicopters were bucketing the fire picking up water from the Saskatchewan river; the third was used for spotting.
For more info on forest fires in Alberta - if you are really bored - check out http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/wildfires/index.html
Disclaimer: The photo with flames is NOT this fire. It is from the Alberta website.
or http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/wildfires/fpd/wi.cfm
or Parks Canada Fire links at
http://www.pc.gc.ca/progs/np-pn/ecosystem/ecosystem5_E.asp#management

Let me know which ad on this page is your fav!
Check out the good deals and great stuff.
And don't forget, you can always click on any of the photos for a full-size view!

No comments:

Post a Comment