Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It's been a couple days since the last post, and I didn't think I had any content or photos to warrant doing so, but as always, I have too many and had trouble thinning them down to a reasonable number.

I guess the first one is a short video clip left over from the last post - a cute seal at the Newport Aquarium.
The video was actually taken vertically - this little guy was actually hovering in a vertical position next to me - so the speedsters going by in the background were actually moving horizontally! It's amazing to see the speed they get with such a little motion - then glide like missiles for such a long ways! Pretty impressive!



Next are a couple of photos from last year's trip - why, you may ask?
Well, just to compare them to this year's pics of the same location so you can see the progress they have made on these bridges.

2008 pics




2009 Photos!Another, unrelated bridge near North Bend, Coos Bay, Oregon.

And the remains of what appears to be wreckage of a ship or boat on the nearby beach.
I spent a night right beside this beautiful beach near Orick, California, and had to do a bit of beach combing in the morning.
There was a herd, pack, group, cluster of seals on the sand spit just across the river, about 100m from my camp spot.
Then it was on to Garberville, California, apparently home to a lot of original (old) hippies.
I found this scenic spot way up above the town, which kept me above the valley fog, which was nice in the morning.


But I kept on exploring, and in the morning found this primo spot right on the river flats. It's really hard to find, but I was persistent, and it is now lodged in my GPS for future reference.




I was surprised to see Canada mentioned in US papers, but then I realized that it was because Obama was making a visit to the frozen north. By the account I read, the meeting went well.
Then it was on to Frisco, and the required shots of that large bridge. Toll is $6. going south, free northbound.
And I gave a special wave at someone's request ( :-) when passing Alcatraz!
You might have to click on the photo to get a large enough view so that you can actually see that it is Alcatraz!


I guess the nice folks in San Francisco knew I was coming - so they parked all their cars on the sidewalk to make room for me to pass.

Tonight, I think I will keep moving on to my favourite lighthouse camp spot, right above the water.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ivan
    it seems like things are going well. Are you going to Mexico this trip?Or across to the southern states?
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ivan
    it seems like things are going well. Are you going to Mexico this trip?Or across to the southern states?
    Doug

    ReplyDelete