Friday, April 17, 2009

Lake Powell is the second-largest man-made lake in the United States with almost 2,000 miles of shoreline which is more than the combined coastline of the Pacific Coast states. It is over 180 miles long, more than 400 feet deep and is surrounded by the startling beauty of colorful rock canyon walls, rose colored sandy beaches and a night sky brilliant with shimmering stars. This breathtaking landscape extends from Page Arizona into southern Utah. Lake Powell is so vast, it would take years on the lake to experience its entirety.
Lake Powell has a number of large marinas in the area and it seems to attract a lot of houseboats!


Here are just a few of them in dry-dock, awaiting the summer season.
I drove just a few miles to the north, and soon found myself in Utah.
From the Arizona part of the lake I could see some RV's on the shore to the north, so I located this place, called Lone Rock.

I wonder how it got it's name?
With Google Earth running on my iPhone, I was able to confirm (the blue dot in the center of the display) that I was indeed on the lake shore, which you can just see in the background out the windshield of my truck.
My camp spot was soon surrounded by tracks of the local wildlife,
who I caught in the act of making more tracks. And quacks!
Looks like a tough spot to endure another night under the stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment