Friday, January 7, 2011

Big Bend National Park–update!

I was worried that the border patrol was monitoring my blog, and sending in some troops to fill the void (see my last post).  I was amazed at their monitoring technology and reaction times – as I was still uploading when they showed up in not one, but two helicopters!

But when I drove out past the park visitor center and ranger’s office, I saw no camo-clad troops circling into the desert to apprehend me, but a bunch of dignitaries and media. 

Missed the pic of both helicopters on the ground just out of view in this photo.CIMG3337

Courtesy of the San Antonio Express-News, a photo of the helicopter that I did not take a photo of.

San Antonio Express-Newsimage

It turns out that:

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin flies over the international crossing at Boquillas in Big Bend National Park before a press conference on Jan. 6 where he announced that the crossing is scheduled to re-open in April 2012.

Chron.com

Houston & Texas News

Click on one of the links above to read the whole story and see more pics from the media.

I’m not sure if the locals from Boquillas, Mexico were aware of the announcement or not, but in the location of the historic crossing that day I spoke to several Mexicans – on the US side, openly selling their wares – and enjoyed some great singing from the far bank!  Some crossed in canoes and boats, others rode their horses across – as detailed in the media links as well.

CIMG3339CIMG3340CIMG3341

In these photos, the far or right bank is Mexico.

CIMG3342CIMG3343CIMG3344CIMG3345

The previous day found me driving into the Chisos Basin area of the park – that I personally found the most scenic of the areas I visited. My photos are not of the Bayfield Bunch quality, but will give you an idea of the scenery.

I hiked the ‘Window’ trail, and the ‘Basin Loop’ while there.

CIMG3303

Window trail

CIMG3310CIMG3311CIMG3313CIMG3314CIMG3317CIMG3318CIMG3319

Basin loop trail

CIMG3327CIMG3328CIMG3329CIMG3330

Heading out on the road

CIMG3331CIMG3332CIMG3333CIMG3334CIMG3335CIMG3336

I have left Big Bend National Park behind for now as I head further south to check out the gulf coast of Texas, but I hope to be able to stop again on the way back north or in the not too distant future.  I have barely scratched the surface of what the park has to offer.  Besides, I may have to pick up one of those metal Mexican scorpions Winking smile.

I’ll have to check on Wandering Willy when I get to south Texas.  Not sure if I will recognize him without the beard!

4 comments:

  1. That story about flying the chopper to attend a conference was just to throw you off track! They actually know your every move, so be careful! (Just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On our first camp out to Big Bend, we stayed in the Basin, all we had was army cots! Slept out in the open!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your pictures!!! What a huge place!! Hope to pass that way in February on the way West.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of a nasty hiking blister I had we missed that one very scenic trail in the Chisos Basin. Am hoping to get back that way again to have a go at it. We were wondering where the border crossing is. I know many years ago people were taken across by boat to the little Mexican village of Boquilles. I recognized the road where that group of people were standing. It was near there that we saw our first Javelinas. Say hello to Wandering Willy....if you find him:))

    ReplyDelete