Wednesday, January 18, 2006





Been out in the sticks for a few days, and still am, frankly! Just outside Tombstone, AZ this morning, and the pic of me sitting in the truck is right now, and I am on the internet and publishing this from this exact spot! N31.73630 W110.07861
Pic of Harley looking out the window is the apparent source of wi-fi yestereday as I checked the e-mail. Go figger!

_________________________________________________________________

I should have been keeping track. I’m pretty sure I’ve gone over at least 800 cattle guards on the roads down here. This is because I am usually on remote national forest roads. Many of them are single lane, switchback mountain roads in the middle of nowhere. Curiously, there are warning signs for single lane bridges and cattle guards – on single lane roads!
Spent so long surfing the web and making phone calls on my software phone that I killed the battery in the truck in Lordsburg, NM. Tried turning the key on ignition for a while to use the three camper batteries to assist, but it was too slow. Remembered that I had the 2000W generator behind the seat. Honda to the rescue. 3 minutes of charging and I was ready to go! Googled up the local swimming facility with thoughts of a shower and a hot tub in Lordsburg, NM, and found it using Google Earth, but what I failed to consider was that it was an outdoor, summer-only pool! Who needs a shower today anyway!
Have seen some birds. One roadrunner, one blue bird, and some lbb’s!
Not that I’m into politics, but the election coverage has been interesting. They are all trying to decide whether it will be a Conservative minority or majority! I can’t figure out why all those do-gooders in Ontario don’t vote for some more deceit, corruption, gun control, kickbacks, theft, mismanagement, theft, waste? But I digress.
Managed to set a new trip record for gas price today ($2.50/gal), in the interest of not running out in the middle of nowhere. But since I fill up when I don’t need to, the damage is not as bad as if the tank were empty.

Spent the nite of 16th in the Coronado National Forest at N31.94821 W109.30676 @ 6000’ Absolutely beautiful little c/g called Sunny Flat. I passed on as it was still early in the day, but this place was immaculate! Expensive tables, expensive fireplaces, rockwork in almost every site, food storage lockers in each site, beautifully paved, lines painted, and all for only $10.US. Makes Banff campgrounds look like the wastelands they have become. Sad.
Spent most of the yesterday in Chiricahua National Monument; hiked to the summit of Cottonwood peak and the fire lookout. This is the area where Cochise the Apache chief hid out in the 1800’s while battling settlers in the area.
Finally a few tourists in the area.
Found some wi-fi in the strangest area – out in the middle of nowhere, a mobile home on blocks; thanks to NetStumbler I got to check my e-mail – while stopped in the driving lane. No traffic.
Spent the nite of the 17th at N31.87657 W109.94195 in the Dragoon Mountains near Cochise stronghold, and just a bit north of Tombstone. Took about 15 seconds to tune in the Calgary news on satellite. Getting the procedure down pat.
Harley making friends with the gate attendant, and everyone who sees him in parking lots, gas stations. ‘What beautiful eyes’ they say. ‘Sure is Big’.

No comments:

Post a Comment