Monday, March 6, 2006



I knew we were getting close to Canada when I heard some Corb Lund on the radio! We left the Seattle area and took the ferry from Everett, Washington (where one of the huge Boeing Aircraft plants are), over to Clinton on Whidbey Island. Finally found an elusive air filter for the mighty GMC in Oak Harbor and found a place to get my ears lowered as well on a Sunday morning. Not much action seen or heard from the Naval Air Station on Whidbey, so we cruised on north into Anacortes, which is by all accounts a very nautical town. Shipyards, marinas, yacht sales places everywhere, and an oil tanker depot on the nearby pennisula. They also have murals painted on many buildings in the downtown area. I think it is a serious fishing port, too. Took a shot of a US Navy vessel in the repair shop (I wonder if that was legal?), and another obviously brand new vessel up on blocks outside the Boats R Us store!
Still a few hours to kill and according to the calendar, we should keep moving. I know we are within a 10 hour drive from home - IF the roads aren't closed or ugly.
Told the Canada Customs guy that I might have an illegal potato on board, but when I stopped to chuck it, I remembered that I had forfeited it to the US Customs lady on the Mexican line! Another sign of impending ugly temperatures was when I saw a snowmobile on the back of a truck.
That reminds me - I might still catch the end of the hockey season in Banff?
Still some BIG, 10' snowbanks at the summit of the Coquihalla highway, but driving was good and it was snow-free and approaching pleasant at both ends and in the middle at Merritt. Tempted to stop in Merritt and secure a good camp spot for the Merritt Mountain Music Festival, but it's still a few months off, so will give it a rain check.
Rogers Pass tomorrow with the bonus of being back in Tim Horton's country! Large double-double coming right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment