Sunday, December 12, 2010

Movin’ On!

 

Today is the day for moving on.  The rig has not moved for two weeks, which is a new record for me.  Usually I get itchy feet long before that.  But it has been an enjoyable time at Craggy Wash and Lake Havasu.CIMG2786CIMG2787

Entertainment includes watching military jets overhead re-fueling from a tanker in flight, and a few roadrunners who won’t take flight.

imageimage

It’s been an alternating scenario around here; one day spent hiking and scrambling the peaks around here, and the next day into town to see the sights of stock up on needed supplies.  I’ve also been checking out some of the other back roads around here.  This was harder to do with the truck camper on, as many of the roads were just too rough, but with the empty pickup we can check out a lot of new spots.

CIMG2807CIMG2808CIMG2809CIMG2804

This flighty little lizard allowed me to get close enough for a photo – all you have to do is approach VERY slowly!

CIMG2810

Another first.  I heard a terrible crashing and flurry of action in the kitchen the other night.  I got up to find the Hailey had cornered a mouse in the kitchen.  It was very similar in appearance to one of her many toy mice, but this one was very much live.  It was the first mouse ever found in any of my campers (knock on wood).  I don’t know how it got in, but suspect it may have crawled into a pack I left sitting outside on the ground, then brought in.  At any rate, I had purchased some brand new mouse traps just last week, so after ushering this little guest out the door (Hailey wanted to keep it for a playmate!), I set up a trap line, but have caught nothing, and seen or heard no further evidence of more stowaways.

CIMG2816CIMG2817

I was talking to a long term resident of Lake Havasu the other day.  We talked of the snow that we did not have to shovel down here, and of course the fact that many kids living down in these warmer climates have never seen snow first hand.  That is not surprising.  But then he told me that his kids who grew up here had never really seen grass before and would refuse to walk on it when they were young and visited a grassy area!  I had never thought of that before.  Certainly, there are a few lawns around here, and some golf courses.  But by far the most common landscaping includes no grass, to conserve water.

 

CIMG2819CIMG2784

When I pulled into Craggy Wash two weeks ago, I expected to be here only a day or two, as I thought my water tank was low and my other tanks were approaching full.  But I instituted the best of boondocking conservation measures, and only ran out of water this morning as I was finished my shower.  Of course, I would not have showered today if I hadn’t planned to leave anyway.  I checked out Crazy Horse campground last week, and found their rates started at about $35/night, but they allow non-resident dumpers for $5., and non-resident showers for $4.  I was planning to stop by there today on my way out of town to dump – till I discovered a better deal in a more convenient location.  I took a propane bottle in to be re-filled at Max’s Mini Mart (Texaco), on the side of highway 95 just a few blocks north of London Bridge.  Propane price was good at $2.35/gallon, and then I noticed the RV dump literally right under my feet.  The new owners are just in the process of figuring out all their prices, and he told me it would be $8. to dump, but it would be free with a minimum (subject to change) $10 purchase.  So he gave me a free voucher for a dump, so I will return today to dump the tanks and re-fill the onboard water supply!CIMG2785CIMG2788CIMG2789Where will be parked tonight?  Your guess is as good as mine!

3 comments:

  1. No wonder you haven't caught any mice after that encounter with Hailey. Probably over in Arkansas by now & still moving at a fast pace steadily east. We do miss our nice green grass down here but not the snow. Yes, 2 weeks in one spot is a long time alright. We are getting too soft here but it's hard to give up a totally free spot. Hope we break our softie toftie routine & roll out in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boondocking... Not a better feeling of Freedom. I once parked out bringing home 2 buckets of H2o each time I went to town. Was enough to shower, etc. Had to move every 3 weeks to dump Black H2o. Did this for a whole summer up by Whitefish.

    Haily is lookin good and acclimating well.
    T&C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boondocking... Not a better feeling of Freedom. I once parked out bringing home 2 buckets of H2o each time I went to town. Was enough to shower, etc. Had to move every 3 weeks to dump Black H2o. Did this for a whole summer up by Whitefish.

    Haily is lookin good and acclimating well.
    T&C

    ReplyDelete