Thursday, March 6, 2008

Don't you just hate it when the dolphins make too much noise and wake you up in the morning? I had finally found a 'rooster free' zone on the deserted east shore of the Bahia Concepcion and was looking forward to sleeping in!

Then there was this sound halfway between BJ going up a flight of stairs, and a rattling wagon coming down the road, mixed in with splashing sounds. So I had to get up to investigate, and saw this big pod of dolphins heading south down the bay.

I guess the lead dolphin was too proud to ask for directions, but I could have told him they were headed for dry land and a dead end. Sure enough, well after coffee and breakfast on the beach, they all came by going the other direction.

It was a large group and hard to estimate numbers, but I would say there were 1-200 of them in the bunch. One had seaweed stuck on his dorsal fin; I hope they had not gotten caught up in the fisherman's nets at that end of the bay?

It was calm out this morning, so no more excuse was needed to perform some manoeuvres with the CX-2 r/c helicopter that is along for times like this.

I am beginning to think that this is a fairly isolated spot I have found .

Two years ago when I was navigating an isolated section of coast south of San Felipe and Puertocitas, I had thought that area was deserted, when I only met another vehicle every 3 or four hours. But I have been in this area now for four days, and have yet to see a vehicle.

The hardships continue, I tell ya.

Ever tried using a laptop while lying in a hammock, on a beach? It's tough, I'll tell you. Then, just when you get it all set up and start to type, ... well, you look at that water, which is calm this morning, and decide that it is just begging to be snorkeled in.

So you do. Not that it was a great snorkeling location or anything, but sometimes you just have to do it for the team. Saw quite a number of fish, and a few bottom dwellers when I started to hear strange sounds.

Sure enough, the dolphins were back - still looking for a way out of the bay. They didn't come to close. I guess they were awed by my ability to splash about on the surface - having not thought to bring a weight belt to counteract the wet suit that I did bring.

So being all wet anyway, I decided to have a shower - especially because there would be no need out here to set up my elaborate tarp and truck door shower stall.

It struck me as only a little bit ironic that in Pismo Beach at the State campground, where I had paid to stay - and paid again for each minute of shower time, that the water was not hot enough.

Here, in the middle of nowhere where I am camped for free, on the beach, the water was too hot! But that is because I had left the shower bag on the hood of the truck till noon.

So, back to the hardship. I was just sitting down (laying down, actually, would likely be a more accurate description for a hammock?) once again to tell you about the tribulations (I think that is four syllables, Anders) of life here, when out of nowhere, a tribulation struck!

Laptop battery has expired! Now, I've had to get up, go find an extension cord, and run it out from the camper to the tree (the hammock is actually attached to both the camper and the tree), and turn on the power inverter before you can see these words.

My camper batteries are not tested that hard here, and are performing flawlessly. My little solar panel is peering up at the sun and just stuffing the batteries full of fresh little electrons. As we speak.

Unfortunately, you will not get to learn about these latest sacrifices I have made for you, until I decide to leave this idyllic life, and get back on the highway where there is some wi-fi.

Ha - your loss.

I really will have to get one of those satellite internet systems that you just plunk on a tripod down, aim it at the correct spot in the sky, and you are online.

If any dealers out there want to give me a free system, I promise to promote it shamelessly? With pictures!

I have managed to see a bit more wildlife since I have adopted the wait (in a hammock) and see attitude. I saw my first Mexican Mule Deer, a Common Loon (Gavia Immer)(for Garry!), some other loons, grebes, gulls, vultures, ravens, shorebirds, some raptors, and a little coyote trotting down the beach last night.

On the domestic side, a small band of cows came by to check me out. They did not look that tame, but most of them had ear tags, so I guess they belonged to someone.

One that came by later had a big chunk of cactus stuck to her side, so I guess even the local animals run afoul of the flora on occasion.


Shells, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. Man YOU are really having it tougth!!!
    I would shed some tears for both of you if it was not for being scare of having them freezes on my face :-)
    DeepFreezeInOttawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man YOU are really having it tougth!!!
    I would shed some tears for both of you if it was not for being scare of having them freezes on my face :-)
    DeepFreezeInOttawa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've been bragging to everyone else in Canada about our wonderful West Coast weather....I guess you've got me beat though...looks like you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've been bragging to everyone else in Canada about our wonderful West Coast weather....I guess you've got me beat though...looks like you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete