Tuesday, February 20, 2007

0








Update, update!
Where were we now? I think we left you just leaving San Diego area, right?

Ok, so we cruised north and west through some slums. We knew they were slums because the signs advertising new homes said "Starting in the 700's". From there we went back into Palm Springs and Desert Hot Springs. I happily returned the spare fuel pump I had taken to Mexico with me, for a full refund, no questions asked! Hooray for Napa Auto Parts! We spent a couple of days in that area - I tried to get in a teeny backroad into Johsua Tree National Parks that I had travelled a few years back, but it must have been washed out as I could not even make it to the boundary, and met no traffic on the route. Spent a day up and around the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, but it was all Harley's fault that I could not drop the $21.50 to see the top of the mountain (see sign).


















Caught some rays in the 80F temps, caught the latest James Bond flick, but the pool and hot tub was out of order at my friends' place, so off we went.































This time a little further north and east again to Quartzite (RV, flea market, minerals, gems, fossils show mecca), then south to camp for a couple days out in the desert of the KOFA National Wildlife Refuge. (Click here for the Google Map of Crystal Hill camp spot) This refuge was set up to protect the desert Bighorn sheep. They installed windmill powered pumps to provide water to the wildlife, and it has been quite successful, tho I failed to see anything larger than a dove.



















Well, actually I did get some photos of the California cougar, that bears some striking resemblances to the Mexican 'hunting cat' that I had seen south of the border!

Due to popular demand, but failing to find any suitable 'new' signs to pose on, you will forgive me if I post up a photo from last year at the same location?

No comments:

Post a Comment