Monday, February 5, 2007

This week is an arts festival in Todos Santos, so there are street performers, band stands, flea markets on almost every corner.



Last nite at Playa Los Cerritos? The last crescent of the sun sinks quickly into the Pacific, leaving only the golden glow.
The Mexican hunting cat asks to go outside so he can resume terrorizing the local mini-fuana, having filled his somewhat fat belly with more cat kibble.
The cicadas set up a symphony, backed by the surf. The show goes on all night.

Ever thought of working in Mexico? Now could be the time. They have just raised the minimum wage from $4.45US to $5.oo! What are you waiting for?
Are you waiting for me to tell you that wage is NOT the hourly rate? It is the rate for an eight hour day! Ouch! Tip well, and do not begrudge a worker who may not be working as hard as you would like.


Mexican Road Signs 101
Anybody care to guess what this one means?

"No deje piedras sobre el pavimento"

If you were paying attention to my entries almost exactly a year ago, and a few weeks ago, you might have a clue to that one! (Answer later)

And I think I have finally figured out the logic (?) (if any) to the speed limit signs down here. Last year, ha ha, I fooishly thought that they indicated the maximum speed at which you were supposed to drive.
And I could not figure out why they went from 40 to 80 to 60 or no apparent (to me) reason. Well, with another 2000 odd more Mexican kilometres behind me, I think I have it figured?
They are only there to warn you about the next dangerous curve (curva peligrosa), or hill, or washout. They don't actually EXPECT you to go that speed, and certainly no one does - except me, when meeting transport trucks or RV convoys.
I have seen no sign of speed enforcement anywhere, and even turned on my usually dormant radar detectoor to check the theory - which was confirmed.

Not sure if seat belts are mandatory or just recommended, but I guess they don't apply to kids riding in the box of pickup trucks, or anyone else.

Okay, here is the answer to the sign question above. Loosely interpreted, it means 'Don't leave SAFETY BOULDERS on the highway, when you are finished with them".

Really gonna miss this place. It's a long time till next year.

Better go check on the Mexican hunting cat - see if he has to come inside yet - to use the litter box!

No comments:

Post a Comment