Sunday, February 10, 2008

Near Honeydew, California, on the drive in from Cape Mendocino.









Some times, you just have to be glad for the little things! Like buying gas in California. When using a credit card at the pump, you have to enter a zip code. But they don't accept canadian postal codes, then you have to go inside and pay for some gas -even though you don't know how much you may need, etc etc. But I found a Safeway gas station in Willits, Ca that let me pay at the pump and even get the Safeway discount! That's a first in recent California experience.

Was puttering down the 3 lane highway at around 100km/h just approaching the Golden Gate bridge, when a motorcycle passed me in the next lane - on ONE wheel. He was just doing a wheelie, but I was impressed by the speed and the distance he traveled on one wheel.

Lots of motorbikes out, convertibles with the tops down - it's T-shirt weather for sure. I tried to hold off for you folks at home stuck in the -25 with the wind, but I used the A/C for just a bit today.
It's not that hot, but in the truck if you have to have the windows up - it's too hot, sorry!

Did a good samaratin deed when I found a guy camped on the beach - with a dead battery in his car. I could have given him a boost, but the cables are well buried and it was easier to pull out the generator and give him a charge to get him started again.

Cruised through some of those redwood trees that were around when they released the Bible, on DVD. The size, and height, needless to say are awe inspiring.

Checked out a Cal State campground, but they wanted $20 for no services, and you had to pay for a shower on top of that. It's high when compared to Oregon where $18 gets you water, sewer, electricity, cable TV, and free showers. So I carried on to my 'normal' overnighting spot in Garberville.
Garberville is, well, how do you say - quaint! Nice little place, but it looks like more than a few 60's hippies have not left town since.

While in Willits, though, I found a nice spot to set up my satellite dish to watch Hockey Night in Canada, but alas, the Leafs had already finished beating the Wings when I got all set up. Watched the Nascar race instead, so it was not a lost cause.
There was a r/c airplane flying around the area at the time, but it was too dark for me to take off when I had the time.

Since it was warm and nice out in a shirt, I cranked the camper up a bit and cleaned some of the electrical contacts to make sure I had good power connections. Also oiled the jacks a bit. Nice change from having to pour boiling water on them at home to thaw them enough to load the camper.

Visited the Walmart in Ukiah for the night, but thank goodness I was not woken by the noisy lawnmower like I was last year!

I decided not to say 'whoa' in a tight spot, and did not want to be driving through San Francisco bay area on a work day and risk a rush hour fiasco, so got back on the road and made it across the bridge on a fine, sunny, warm day. All the beach parking lots were packed, and I witnessed a coast guard helicopter doing a surf rescue just off shore at Pacifica. I could not see who/what they were rescuing, but saw the rescue swimmer being lowered from the helicopter, and a gaggle of fire trucks/EMS units on the shore.

What am I doing sitting on the side of the road typing? I've got an ocean sunset to enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ivan,

    What?...no sunset pictures? Seems like we haven't seen the sun in GBINP for more than a month because of the snow squalls. Pictures of the sun will have to do for now.

    Talk to you later,

    S and R say "Hi Harley".

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ivan,

    What?...no sunset pictures? Seems like we haven't seen the sun in GBINP for more than a month because of the snow squalls. Pictures of the sun will have to do for now.

    Talk to you later,

    S and R say "Hi Harley".

    Mark

    ReplyDelete