Saturday, February 4, 2006






Got waved through the Mexican border into Mexicali, found Hiway #5 down to San Felipe with no problem.
Part of the road was deluxe four lane, and some was the traditional, narrow road with no shoulder. Traffic was light, but I finally had to break down and apply the A/C for a while!
Gun control must be working in Mexico, as I did not notice bullet holes in any of the 100 or so burned out hulks along the road. Found the immigration office in San Felipe and jumped the first hoop on the way to a tourist card. Then to the bank to pay for same - where I discovered that the ATM did not like either of my bank cards! Hmm, not looking good. Found out that that machine is only for credit cards(!) The 'real' bank machine was in the liquor store where it belongs (?), and worked just fine. Filled up my tank at the Pemex station, where the uniformed attendant actually washes your windows! Of course, when I got back to the immigration office to complete the tourist card process, it was closed (for the weekend?) or only till 6PM? Had to leave town to scout campsites, so who knows. Found some really deserted, but quaint camps on the beach, but settled for the popular Pete's Camp 31.13482N 114.88771W (for the Google Earth crowd), which at least had a scatterings of people, mostly from BC. Gorgeous palapas right on the beach. Took a picture of a Mexican beach cat in a harness, that looked just like Harley.
And all of you were dying to know if there was wi-fi down here? Well, there is LOTS, so there should be no problem if I am at all close to somewhere.
And the worst has happened ...
After more than a month on the road, I have finally had to pay my first camping fee. I did pay to enter one National Park in Arizona, but this is the first time for camping. There goes the budget!
So far, the satellite TV is working just fine, but I hear that the Bell Expressvu signal is not good further south in Mexico. Temp is 37C (in the sun) at 10 AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment