Friday, April 16, 2010

North Shore Road – Lake Mead

 CIMG0404

Today, since I had to make a supply run anyway, I decided to make a patrol down the North Shore Road and check out the area, as well as possibilities for camping in the future.  I drove almost to the far end, but avoided going out past the entry station! Then on the way back, I checked out a lot of the side roads that approach the lake (or what’s left of it!).

The first one I drove in to was Government Wash (15 day camping), which is easily the most popular for the boondocking crowd, with lots of varied choices of spots over a pretty vast area of now exposed lake bottom.

  CIMG0405

The huge, long boat launch ramp here is totally blocked off, but people with smaller boats and PWC’s were having no problems finding alternative launch sites.  CIMG0406

Overall though, I found the area a bit too much like an un-rehabilitated gravel pit with hardly any vegetation.

 

Across the wash, I could see more RV’s, who had approached the same area from several miles away, via the road named 8.0,  from the milepost it left the North Shore road I suppose!  So, back out to the highway and I came at it from the new angle.  (7 day camping)The road was more gravel, the RV’s were far fewer, there was lots more vegetation.

  CIMG0409

I liked this sign – saying there are NO trash cans.  But what is that in the background, but two of them!  I guess they meant there is none to be found where the lake now is?  Perhaps they should have signs saying that there is not more lake, in some of these spots!

The last pitch down to the water was likely too rough for most RV’s, but there were a few spots with a view above that.  All these areas see a lot of helicopter traffic – I’m guessing because of the proximity to Nellis AFB.  CIMG0410

Not sure, but there were indications that some consider this area to be ‘clothing optional’.

Curiously, there were two of these containers sitting in roadside pullouts about a mile or two apart.  Perhaps someone did not pay the bill for their move?CIMG0412

 

On up the lake I went to the next access which was shared by both Crawdad Cove and Boxcar Cove.  Both are about a 2 mile drive on rough gravel, but nothing to indicate their 4x4 ratings.  CIMG0414CIMG0415

Crawdad had some nice high, view locations along the road, and a few decent spots close to the water.  CIMG0417

Boxcar Cove was similar, but fewer options on the road or closer to the water.  CIMG0419

There was also one clearly abandoned trailer with junk all around, and surrounded by barricade tape!CIMG0420

 

Next road I went down was to Callville Bay, which is a full-on up to date marina.

 CIMG0424

Paved road all the way, acres of concrete for the boat launch, restaurant (?), and a government campground and sani-dump, for $10/night.

CIMG0426  CIMG0427

It was very well maintained and nice, but the sites were rather small and very close together.

CIMG0428

CIMG0429

I googled this for a bit, but could not find out what the fencing along the Callville Bay road was for.  Clearly, it is designed to keep some sort of small wildlife off the road, and to direct them through the culverts to cross the road in safety.  I guessed it was for the tortoises, but could not come up with anything.

CIMG0431CIMG0433CIMG0434

 

Boathouse Bay  was next. I drove about a mile on a rough, 1-lane road to a 1site camp spot, and a sign saying the lake was a further six miles.  Nope, time to turn around and leave that one for another time – or at least an check on Google earth.

The last place I checked out was Echo Bay, which is another big marina with all the amenities, two government campgrounds similar looking to Callville Bay, and an RV park with some hookups.

CIMG0441CIMG0438CIMG0439CIMG0440

I can see a bit of the Echo Bay development, and lights at night from my lakeshore spot at Stewarts Point, which has perhaps a couple dozen houses – and wide open boondocking!

Back on North Shore road between Echo Bay and Stewarts Point, I thought I could see a little white speck on the lakeshore several miles away.  Sure enough, the binoculars revealed that that was my rig in the distance!  If you click on the photo and use a magnifying glass, you might just be able to see my 5th wheel – a little left of center, right on the edge of the lake.CIMG0443

Because I needed some supplies, I went on north into Overton where once again I created a stir at the local McDonald’s restaurant.  I had the young girl at the till all excited and calling her friends – like I was some kind of magician.  She was in awe that I could pay for my meal by simply waving my wallet mysteriously over the credit card scanner!

 

Went looking for some cheaper fuel to fill up on, and drove all the way out to I-15 (where there are no gas stations), before realizing that the first station selling #2 Diesel for $3.19 was as good as it was going to get.  Picked up some groceries and headed back out to the lakeshore camp in time to enjoy the last of the sunset in my chair with a cool drink to end a great day.  Most of my fellow campers who had been here when I arrived a few days ago all left today, but some were replaced by a new batch of intrepid travelers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment