Monday, January 8, 2007

If this is Monday, we must still be in California! But, for the time being we have put Palm Springs and Desert Hot Springs behind us.

Got an oil change for the truck yesterday, and bought a new fuel pump today. Didn't have it installed, just carrying one with me as a precaution. It has been making some noises lately, and I didn't want to take any chances of being down Baja and breaking down.
The Mexicans are legendary at being able to fix things, but they don't have many (any?) parts. And getting parts sent down to you can take weeks. The Rv guides suggest the best way to get parts is to fly, drive, walk, or bus back to the US and bring the part back with you!
Since my fuel pump has been starting to make a bit of noise lately, I thought I had better have some insurance. I don't really want to leave Harley behind while I go off in search of parts. Even bought the special tool needed to detach the fuel lines.

Last week I was leaving the agricultural town of Ojai behind a slow truck, up a big long hill. This gave me the time to ponder whether the famous football star and wife killer had ever lived there, or if there was another source of the name?
Then I noticed that the semi-trailer in front of me was - full of .............. Oranges!

OK, so Google thought otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojai,_California

Last year when I was in this area, I spotted a huge, fake, boulder, but failed to take any photos of it. This year I got some. Look carefully at the last picture and you can see the door into the bouder. Click on any photo for a larger view.












So up the big hill we went out of Palm Springs on #74 to the south. This road is very narrow and winding with no shoulders - and bears a great resemlance to many of the Mexican roads still to be enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment