Sunday, January 14, 2007

I'm working on a way to automatically insert a map of my location into the blog, but have some work to do yet. In the meantime, if you click on this Map LINK, you will get a may centered on where I was last night. You can zoom in or out and change the image to a map or a hybrid! Cool, huh?


Right after the last entry, we looked around the company town of Guerrero Negro. it is a 'new' town, founded in 1955 to serve the salt works. Large flats are flooded with seawater, which evaporates, and heavy equipment is used to collect the resulting salt.
Once again I decided to stay at the National Park (?) campground a fair bit south of town on the Scammon's Lagoon, where the California Gray whales congregate during winter.
G. Negro is also on the 28th parallel, and the dividing line between states Baja nord and Baja Sur.
Wil E. Coyote came by us in the dark while camped on the shore, but Harley saw him coming and retreated to the camper, and I made sure he kept going.

Road is pretty narrow heading south, but traffic is light, so white knuckle times are only when meeting large trucks.
Stopped in San Ignacio for lunch (at a small restaurant) and had some great Camarones (shrimp), and Harley impressed the family that ran the place with his, well, size!






Cruised on down the VERY steep hill to the coast and into Santa Rosalia. Unlike G Negro, this is an old mining town and was founded in the 1880's by a French company, and has a church designed by Eiffel of the tower fame.
The mining operation ceased in the 50's so the huge facilities are abandoned.
I tracked down and met the famous George of "Adventures of Tioga & George", the link that has been on my blog since last year. He gave me a short walking tour of the historic downtown area, then we were on our way.














Time was running short though. Had to find the perfect spot in the desert where I could hook up the satellite dish and catch the last of the Leafs/Canucks game. Don't ask.
This may be the last game - or any TV I see for a while because my satellite dish loses coverage this far south.




In fact, most of the channels are already gone at this lattitude. Soon they will all be gone and I will have to resort to off-air Mexican programming - and only in settled areas. There are great sacrifices ones has to make to endure a vacation like this, let me tell you (snow shoveling friends).



Also worked out a 'hack' whereby I can pre-enter locations (campgrounds and attractions) into Google Earth, with details, and still see all the areas at full resolution - even when off-line and/or on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment