Friday, January 26, 2007






I've been meaning to do some work on the roof of the camper for a while, so yesterday spent some time up there cleaning the places I want to re-caulk, but it was not working very well with a rag.
So after spending some quality beach time yesterday, and treating myself to supper at a nice little restaurant/bar down the street, I went to the Mercado (grocery store) and bought a little stiff-bristle brush that did the cleaning a lot better.
The old stuff is prety tough to remove, so for now, I will just add another layer. Maybe tomorrow after it has had a chance to dry out thoroughly.
So we rolled up the cords and hoses and bid farewell to a new bunch of friends and headed back south on the road.







Along the way we crossed over the Tropic of Cancer. There was a 'globe' display on the roadside, but it was fenced off, so Harley's efforts to pose on it were thwwarted.
Had a good look at the road description going along the coast to Los Frailes, but it brought back memories of washboard, so we stayed on Mex 1 right into Los Cabos.
First is San Jose del Cabo, where I visited more than ten or twelve years ago. Managed to find the beach hotel where I had stayed - and it appeared pretty well unchanged, but the development has gone crazy around it and still is booming.









We carried on on the four-lane road, where I had remembered cows roaming last time, into Cabo itself. There is not much further south you can go than this - if you do not board the ferry!
I checked in at the Vagabundos del Mar RV campground ($20 regular, $18 with my membership), but they were full. Looks like a real nice place with lots of facilities, but Very little room, and no ocean view. Checked with a couple other campgrounds that did have room ($22),
but decided to go back up the coast just a bit to a big 'ol dry riverbed/beach where I had seen a camper parked as I passed earlier. Found a friendly (everyone is friendly down here) retired guy from the US camped there that was willing to share his 80 acres of waterfront beach with me.
Wouldn't ya know it, he had a cat with him too! His was an ex-Mexican cat that he had adopted a few years ago. So we compared notes and campers over happy hour.
Sorry to report that there are quite a few wi-fi signals around, but no luck in hooing up to any of them. Well, I could have connected to a 'pay' site, but that would violate my standards.
Cell phone works at least and got one channel of Mexican game show TV. Bright moonlight on the white sand, crashing surf - I think this is just a little nicer than the crowded RV camp right on the side of the highway?


Los Cabos
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=22.957915,-109.801105&h1=en&t=k

No comments:

Post a Comment